Green Travel

Sustainability is, besides digitalisation and inclusion, one of the focus points of the new Erasmus program. To support the sustainability of Erasmus mobilities, you may receive additional funding if both the outbound and inbound journeys are taken sustainably. You have to indicate this in your application and submit a hand-signed hard copy of the “Statutory Declaration Green Travel” (by post, ideally together with your Grant Agreement). At the end of the internship, you confirm to us again that you have actually traveled sustainably (Proof of Green Travel).

You may receive a once-off flat fee of €50 and up to 4 additional travel days at the daily rate of your grant. You will receive 90% of the travel day rates with the first instalment of your grant at the start of your traineeship and the remaining 10% as well as the €50 flat fee with the final instalment after the end of your traineeship.


The Green Travel grant is very low, while the administrative expense for us is high.



- We only need the Statutory Declaration. However, you must keep documents of proof for 5 years after the end of your traineeship for possible audits by the EU or the DAAD 

- Consider whether your outbound and inbound journeys really are sustainable. The term “mainly sustainable outbound journey” is elastic. Air travel does not count as sustainable, travel by car only under certain circumstances (e.g. car sharing). We have no clear definition of “mainly”. For your orientation: We consider a journey sustainable that is not made by plane or car, but instead by train or bus.

- The EU has not provided concrete guideline regarding the additional travel days either, so here the choice is up to you as well. All your declarations must be plausible and reflect the reality.

- If, contrary to your original declaration, you eventually have not travelled sustainably, please inform us accordingly after your traineeship; we will then deduct the respective amount from your final instalment.

- Please note: changes and individual questions mean extra expenditure for us (but possible, if really necessary).

Last Modification: 20.07.2022 - Contact Person: Webmaster