Insurance & Crisis

All trainees are obliged to be covered by the following insurances during their traineeship:

  • Health insurance,
  • Accident insurance for damage suffered by the participant at the workplace,
  • Liability insurance for damages caused by the participant at the workplace.

Accident and liability insurance

Often, trainees are insured against accidents and liability at the workplace by their host institution. However, this varies from country to country and must always be checked before. As a general rule, Erasmus trainees are not insured by their sending university.

We check this in the Learning Agreement, in which the sending university and internship institution provide information on how their trainee will be insured. And we check the information in the Grant Agreement given by the trainee.

Health insurance

Generally, members of the statutory health insurance are also insured in other European countries. Please inquire with your health insurance company! Otherwise a private international health insurance will be necessary.

If you have any questions about insurance during your internship, please contact the Office for Erasmus Traineeships Saxony-Anhalt.

DAAD insurance package

The DAAD offers Erasmus scholarship holders a combined health, accident and personal liability insurance. This costs about 38.00 € (tariff 720) if you are still compulsorily insured in Germany (e.g. for compulsory internships via your university) and otherwise 69.00 € (tariff 726; includes treatment in Germany).

When signing up for the DAAD insurance proof of funding is required. You can use the Grant Agreement as such proof, even when it has not yet been signed by the Office for Erasmus Traineeships Saxony-Anhalt.

Further information and application documents can be found on the DAAD website.

Questions should also be directed at the DAAD: e-mail: ; phone: +49 228 882 8770

Covid and other pandemics

All information regarding traineships during the Covid-pandemic can be found here.

We especially recommend the DAAD insurance, a private insurance package that also covers the case of a "pandemic". Many other private insurance companies exclude the "pandemic" case and many public health insurance companies only pay a fraction of the costs incurred abroad.

Crisis situations or emergencies

  • We recommend that you always keep yourself up to date on the current security situation in the destination country: You can, for example, subscribe to the travel and security information of the Federal Foreign Office in a country-specific email newsletter and/or install the corresponding app.

  • As a precaution, save the telephone and emergency number of the nearest German Mission abroad. You can find the telephone numbers on the website of the respective German Mission.

  • As a precaution, register yourself in the ELEFAND crisis prevention list (electronic registration of Germans abroad). All German nationals who are staying abroad temporarily or permanently can register. Accompanying family members from the same household - even without German citizenship - can be entered as accompanying persons so that they can be taken into account in emergencies and crises. Registration is recommended for all Germans - regardless of the location and length of stay abroad. The diplomatic missions abroad can contact Germans in the host country in the event of acute crises.


Please note: The EU emergency telephone number is 112 and valid throughout Europe at any time.



Last Modification: 23.11.2022 - Contact Person: Webmaster